HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Offical Team 2"Buckhammer Prostaffers" Thread
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
dvdegeorge
Typical Buck

Default RE: Offical Team 2"Buckhammer Prostaffers" Thread

Well,back from Pa. and my luck is still running bad[:@]Lost another good buck.Opening morning I had a nice 8 pt. in the field adjacent to the stand I was in,he was about 225 yards away but I had a rest in my stand and felt confident,there was a hedge row between the two fields but I could see day light,so I squeeze, off the buck ran into the hedge roe and up the hill into the thick tangle of brush and blow downs.I waited 15 min. and got down to check for signs of a hit.I found blood and the tracking job began.Now normally I would have waited longer to track this deer but opening day in Pa. on land that I was sharing with numerous other hunters had me take up the trail sooner than usual.The blood was good and steady so I kept up the pace,soon I was crawling through thickets and blow downs.Bleeding seemed to get a bit heavier,I could hear the buck ahead of me so I slowed up.Then he crossed a powerline and started walking up it as I followed the blood I saw a deer jump in the woods off the powerline,anther hunter was sitting in the woods and saw him at a distance,so I waited a minute and then started up the tracking again.So far about 1 1/2 hours has elapsed and I have been on his blood trail the whole time without any difficulty in keeping on the trail.Now the blood gets really good 2 large pools,as I creep ahead I see him about 80 yards ahead in a thick tangle of bruch and branches.Now I get a close look at him and he's much better than I had thought.I quickly raise up on him as he turns and I get a quick shot off.I then run up to a gas line as I think thats where he's headed,I don't see him as I look down over the gas line into the woods,I see a hunter right below ,so I head back to the spot he was and find a 3' area strewn with hair,I follow the blood trail which in now getting sparse,he did cross the gas line and go over into the woods with the other hunter.The hunter tells me he saw my buck about 75 yards from him but deceided not to shoot because he didn't want to upset someone if he ruined some meat,he said the buck could barely move and make it over a downed tree and he should be laying over the tree just beyond,I was so happy now I rush to the area and began to search,No deer and now no more bloodI spent the next 2 1/2 hours searching in every direction to no avail.To make matters worse the hunter told me what a great buck it was,very wide and heavy beamed[]I still can't figure out what happened if I hit hit just low in the upper leg,shoulder area,if I caught brush in the hedge row,or if my bullet (140 gr.nosler ballistic tip 7mm08) blew apart and failed.I saw 3 more buck that afternoon, all small 2 4pt. and a 5 pt.I shot a doe that was already shot in the back leg and was missing the lower half of the other leg,she was not getting around too well,so I took her,even though I didn't plan on talking a doe that day.Well I wished things had work out better,but I'll hang in there the season in NY has a couple weeks left.Hope everyone else is having all the good luck cause I think I'm having eveyone's share of the bad.