HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about Blaze orange and hunting on the ground?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Beau44

Default Question about Blaze orange and hunting on the ground?

Ok this is my first post and I am sure someone will have the answer I need. I am taking my 9 year old son out with me on opening Shotgun Season here in Iowa. He isn't going to be shooting I am just letting him go out on the morning Hunt. He has been showing an interest in hunting and I figured what the heck I might as well let him go with me.

Anyway here in Iowa Blaze Orange is the law and I will make sure he is covered from top to bottom with Blaze Orange and I will have my share of it on also. The thing is I am disabled and I can't climb trees anymore so we will be hunting under a small pine tree that I have good cover under. I have a couple of Lawn chairs out under the tree that we sit on and most of the time I take a sleeping bag with me to cover up the lower part of my body. (yes, I said Lawn chairs When it is hard to walk it is even harder to get up off the ground.) Last year I didin't worry about my Blaze Orange not really showing as much as I should have but this year I think I want to make sure Since he is going with me.

I guess what I want to know is If I cover his Sleeping Bag with Blaze Orange is that going to spook any/many Deer that come by? My Wife bought 2 yards of Blaze orange cloth at the Fabric store and I am thinking of having her pin the Blaze Orange on the outside of his sleeping bag so he is really visible.

The place I hunt at is my brother-in-laws timber. I am the only one out there at least I should be the only one around. It is 40 acres of timber with an area that funnels down into a very narrow clearing. Last year I had about 50+ deer go by both Bucks and Does, so if everything goes ok I should be able to get one when he is with me.

Last year I was to sick when I was out there so I didn't get one. plus I was being real picky I either wanted a Big Doe or a buck. I only made it out opening day with plans to go out the 2nd day but I didn't get to go again.

I just want it to be safe for my son and his first time out. Last year was the first year I myself got to go out after not being healthy enough to go Deer hunting for over 11 years. I had just had enough and couldn't take it anymore letting Deer season go by. So I decided 2 days before the season started to get my License and my Brother-in-law had everything setup and helped me get out to where I was going to sit and hunt. Heck, he doesn't even hunt. I couldn't ask for a better brother-in-law

Sorry about getting off track about the Blaze orange question. Looking forward to hearing some input on this. I am looking forward to this forum. I have been looking for a forum like this one and so far what I have found here it is awesome.