HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk bowhunters
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
elknut1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk bowhunters

justhuntitall---The videos are purely instructional videos. There are no bowkills on them.

They cover everything imaginable when it comes to sounds made by both Bulls & Cows. They teach you what the sounds mean so you know exactly what the elk are saying. When you understand their language it's much easier to communicate with them. Too, you'll know how to respond effectively in more ways than you can imagine. The method I shared with you is on Vol-4. There are Vol-1-2 & 4 which all deal with hunting mainly bulls. There are lots of points on them as well for hunting cows too. The method gselkhunter mentioned is also on the videos as well, right down to cutting off a bull with a bugle of your own to piss him off, and much much more. How and when to hunt Wallows!

All the sounds are made on the videos so you can easily hear them and practice them.
Just to help you apprecieate their effectivness, they came out a year ago, so this was there first full hunting season out to the public. So far I have recieved emails & photos of 41 harvested elk, 37 bulls & 4 cows, not counting the 6 bulls we took this year out of our camp. Many hunters were first timers or newer hunters. I wish I knew for sure how many were really taken as some folks just don't take the time to write! Anyway I wanted to share this tidbit with you so you can see what an impact they could have on anyones hunt.

gselkhunter---I too find the right encounter at times to use the "buzz" bugle, (a competition sound) although it doesn't come out of the bag very often, the situation has to be right or else you'll turn the majority of public land bulls into "runners". As you know most herd bulls especially early on (first couple weeks) are small 5's and 6's, defenitely not the biggest bulls on the mountain. Because of that too big or aggressive and they're gone especially if you're outside 100yds. I've seen bulls tear on out of there and leave the cows behind because I was too big sounding. But there are times when you can't be too big either. Finding the right sound for a given situation is the key.

Too, I've challenged bulls many times over the years to the point of calling them every name in the book as I got between him & his cows, to calling their cows away, and there's still times they'll hang-up, when they do it in this situation the " Threat" has proved unbeatable. Anytime you're good enough to convince a bull you've brashly stolen a cow from him he will come unglued and won't stand for it. What I didn't mention earlier is the key to it's effectivness is the fact that the bull (me) is talking to the cow not the real bull, I'm not challenging the bull I'm trying to persuade the cow to come with me and I'm resorting to hook her with my horns and biting her viciously, hence the cow in distress sounds. The real bull knows this and gains confidence to come in, because of this other bulls sneaky approach. Depending on the method used it could be a cow he was trying to call to him or as far as he's concerned it could be one of his own that fed a little to far away from the herd, no matter, he'll be in your lap in seconds!! Man I'm getting excited just writting about it!!!! <grin> ElkNut1