HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting permission to hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 04:45 PM
ToddBDS

Default RE: Getting permission to hunt

Here are a few lessons I've learned the hard way on the subject:

1. Get a county plat book.
This booklet contains maps that show land ownership in the county you intend to hunt. They're available through the local county clerk's office, sometimes the local library, even local real estate offices. With this book in your hand, you'll know whom to ask for permission. It also looks like you've done your homework and are somewhat professional/courteous. You'll also avoid the "sorry, I don't own the stuff down by the creek" denials.

2. Don't be afraid of the doorbell.
It won't bite. And the landowner on the other side of the doorbell won't, either. I have gotten my fair share of "sorry, I promised it to my nephew" answers, but I've never received a rude response. Remember, it's not like you're knocking on doors in downtown New York City. People who live where deer live are good folks.

3. You're not a salesman looking to close a deal.
Don't throw a big sales pitch at them. Simply ask. When they say no (and they will at some point), thank them for their time and see if it's okay to ask again next season. If they still say no, tip your hat, thank them again and walk away.

4. Your license plate could be a problem.
In Kansas, many landowners are somewhat suspect of city hunters. And they can tell if you're one by the county sticker on your license plate. Why? Because big-city people generally don't think twice about jumping fences, using windmills for target practice or leaving gates open. If you live in KC or St. Louis, know that some landowners will hold that against you. It then becomes your job to make them feel comfortable. At this point it's a matter of trust. Follow the advice from Sniper, Hiawatha and Dragthor here and you should be fine.

5. Dance with the one who brung ya.
Once you have permission, don't take it for granted and don't dare abuse it. Your permission to hunt doesn't extend to everyone else you know. Don't invite your entire company over to hunt during the day and drink beer on the place at night. If at all possible, the landowner shouldn't be bothered at all unless it's to receive a small token of appreciation from you (backstraps, bottle of wine, meat/cheese tray, blah, blah, blah). Take it one step further and write him a nice, personal note at the end of the season with your phone number and a "will work to hunt" line. Volunteer to help cut wood, fix fences, clear brush and earn your keep. Landowners love free labor.

A few years ago, I was looking for a few new places to pheasant hunt. Several months before the season opened, I dropped in on one particular farmhouse. The old farmer said Opening Weekend and Thanksgiving Weekend were off-limits (he was saving it for family), but he invited me to hunt any other day during the season. I thanked him several times for his generosity and promised to call several days in advance before hunting (common courtesy). Just as I was about to jump into my vehicle, he yelled at me.

"I do have one request for you, though" he said. "More of a favor."

"Sure. What can I help you with?"

"I need someone to thin out my deer herd. Think you can help me do that?"

"........"

"We have too many deer around here and they're really causing us problems."

I almost hugged him.