HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting permission to hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Hiawatha

Default RE: Getting permission to hunt

I am a landowner and do not have any problem whatsoever having people stop and ask to hunt. i actually like when they do cause it shows there are still some respectful hunters out there and always nice to meet someone new. Land is posted "Hunting with permission only" if i'm not hunting that particular piece of land and they had the decency to stop and ask they are more than welcome to it. However if i caught them out there without asking the chit usually hits the fan. I have asked to hunt several other farmer's land besides my own and its a thing to do in person i think rather than over the phone. Look professional a bit, drive into their yard, introduce yourself and your intentions to hunt. Worst they can say is no. If they do let you hunt there drop by the next day with some meat or a bottle of wine or something, well even if they seem like really good people its never a bad idea. Don't be shy, ya got nothin to lose. Once you get that relationship its not a bad idea to maintain it by maybe sending a Christmas card, calling to check in with them once and awhile etc. Got a basket full of goodies last year from Ontario and a real nice ty card from some city fellas i let hunt this year. Folks like that i gladly welcome back.