HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - who rightfully killed this deer
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who rightfully killed this deer

I know that my dad would have kicked my arse for taking bad shots, even when I was a young lad. A bad shot is a bad shot. Hopefully they learned their lesson. I would say the first lethal shot is the guy who got the deer. I had a buck come by in my earlier years of hunting white-tails back east. I shot him and he dropped, I took him right behind the shoulder. I gutted him and put my tag on him. As I started to drag the deer back to the road a guy began to hollar at me. He said that he mortally wounded that buck and it was his. He said that he had been tracking it in the snow for over a mile and lost blood a while back. He knew that the deer was his. After looking the deer over we found that the deer had the end of a hoof blown off. Not the whole hoof but just one side. That was the ONLY mark on the deer other than where I shot it behind the shoulder. I told him he could have it only if he admitted that I took the deer down with a blow to the hoof. Needless to say, I got my buck. Also to add. If both of your friends approached the deer and they were standing together. Then shame on the other guy who shot and is trying to claim it. It should have easily been handled by the guy who stopped the deer.