HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk bowhunters
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk bowhunters

Justhuntitall, I have been hunting Colo. since 88 with a bow, but I hunt draw areas, mostly #49. By doing this, it limits the number of hunters I have to contend with, muzzleloaders or bowhunters. I have not had the problem you are talking about. But I am hunting up about 10,500 to 11,500ft [Timber line]. Also it is an uphill walk of about 2 miles and there are no roads. It is a lot of work, that is why I am by myself up there. The only person that is still my hunting partner is my son, he doesn't know any better. Back to your question, anytime you put a lot of pressure on an elk herd they will do one of two things. 1 Leave the area. 2 Go nocturnal. In either case, it makes it harder. Muzzleloader season is prime time for the rut, so it is something you have to deal with in Colo. And calling is an issue now, too many people calling wrong or too much. Either way it makes it harder. Best answer, get away from other hunters and hikers, another huge problem here now. One trick I use is to talk to other camps and find out where they are going, so I am not there. Hope this helps, you are coming a long ways to have fun. You might want to look into the area around Taylor Res., over near Gunnison. Hard country but a lot of elk. I have had elk screaming at me from the start of bow season. And remember elk have issues also, heat is a big one, they can take more cold than heat. If it is too warm they go nocturnal to rut. they go to timber early, sun up. Spot them above timberline and catch them in the trees.
Gselkhunter