HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm impressed!
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 07:48 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default I'm impressed!

Went out yesterday on the 4 wheeler with my middle son (9) to look around abit just before dusk. We're hoping to get drawn for the youth hunt next year and I want to start showing him more about deer. I want to get him used to spotting deer by their slight movements contrasting the surroundings rather than their obvious shape/siloutte. We popped out of the trail opening into a medium sized field and killed the motor. The field is just 3-foot tall brush for the most part and we were observing a group of does who were well aware of our presence but weren't concerned as they were probobly 150 yards off or so. After a few minutes I asked him which was the biggest? Then which one would present the best shot? When I asked him which one he would choose to shoot he said, "Duh! That giant buck right over there!"

When he pointed him out to me I could hardly believe it! 175 yards or so and HUGE! I had missed seeing him because I had seen his rack but thought it was a small bare tree!

I think my boy will do fine at youth hunt - he can see better than the old man.

He was obvoiusly taking after these does, but decided to skidaddle on out of there. He bounded on out into the woods and I think this was the biggest deer I have EVER seen in person.

I think I'll let a few arrows fly later this afternoon to keep sharp. I will be looking deeply into this bruiser. We should be getting our new camera (Canon EOS @ 1/2 price, my asst. soccer coach is national sales guy with Canon USA!. Gotta love him!)) and lenses soon and I definately want to learn how to post pictures on here. My first goal is going to be to shoot him with a camera, than an arrow. He's magnificent! I already shotgunned a buck and still have an archery tag for another (limit 2 bucks in IL).

Uncle Matt (in IL)