HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Order of Training-commands/ecollar
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2004, 06:27 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Order of Training-commands/ecollar

The collar is a great tool, I use them with my dogs. When used right, you can make a great hunting dog. If used wrong you will ruin your dog forever. I only use mine as a come back call. When my dogs get too pumped up, I call them back and calm them down. Or if they are hot on bird and headed for the road. Doc E is right do your yard work! The dog should understand the rules and who runs them, YOU! That is done with yard work. I know of a little Setter, goes by the name of Echo, she is deaf. All of Echo's commands come by collar. What a job of training a dog. I got to watch it and be part of it. I learned a lot about how to use a collar. I just like whistle and voice better. My collars are my safety net. Just for the record I use Innotek, but Tri-tronics is a great choice. Have fun with your dog. You got a good set of books started. You didn't say what kind of dog you were going to get. One last thing, go slow, don't get in a big hurry to have your dog trained. Some dogs learn fast, some slow, go at your dogs pace. And they only learn what you teach them, good or bad.
Gselkhunter