HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Curious! Techies please reply.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 05:38 AM
Pinwheel 12
Typical Buck

Default RE: Curious! Techies please reply.

Blodg is correct on some of his points and has been doing some research I see, good post!. A left tear tail high 1/4"-3/8 actually is a preferred tear for most people who shoot right handed and release. This tear provides the fastest recovery from paradox on most setups for those stature/equipment shooters, and the quickest recovery from paradox provides the most consistent and accurate groups downrange usually. Most Pros I know tune to this setting. In fact many along with myself tune for groups at distance FIRST, and THEN run an arrow thru paper and nine times out of ten the tear comes up tail-high at 11:00 no more than 3/8 or so.

The Hoyt hybrid system is unlike other hybrid systems in that is has an eliptical cable track as opposed to a perfectly round one such as the Darton CPS, Martin Tru-Arc, Merlin Omega, and others that all offer straight and level nock travel at all drawlengths. In my estimation it is thus much more like a true twin cam when it comes to timing issues. JMHO.

I have also heard this "standard response" from many in the Archery world that if your arrows fly together no matter what they have on the front of them, your bow is well tuned. I say no way, and can and will argue that any time with distance groups of various heads on the same shaft. Fact is it boils down to whether you want to have the best tune for a given setup, or be "close enough". Sometimes I admit "close enough" isn't all that far off either from perfect IF you can find comparable heads, but this takes time too. I'm a stickler for details so I do whatever I need to to make sure my groups are as tight as they can be for a given application. I have different bows for different applications---my hunting bow(s), my 3D bow, my Field/FITA bow, and my indoor bow. All have differing setups that are tuned specifically for their intended application. I don't get to shoot most of them much anymore (except my hunting bow ) due to my running three Archery businesses, but when I do get a chance to play I know I have the equipment setup and tuned perfectly and capable of doing the job in each application, and the confidence in knowing that each one is helps immensely. Admittedly not everyone can have or even wants that many bows, but that is something each person must weigh for themselves and then go from there as to how exacting they want their setups to be for each application.

Here is a NH Doe shot on Sept 27---check out the shot placement, done in less than 60 yds---this is why I tune to each as I do.