HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - COL and excessive throat length Confusion
Old 01-07-2002, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

Default COL and excessive throat length Confusion

I have trouble understanding guns sometimes. I have a 700BDL SS in 300RUM. I have tried all kinds of powders, seating depths, and factory loads. Still can't get groups down below 1.5". And thats letting the gun cool 10 minutes between shots, and cleaning every 5 rounds. Pillar bedded and trigger set to 2.5lbs. The COL with Nosler PT 180g is 3.750" touching the lands. With Speer GS 180g, the COL is 3.660" according to my Stoney point.

Saw a tactical 700 with bull barrel, bipods, sling, Leupold Vari-III 6-20X50 and H-S stock in 300RUM for 1100 dollars that the owner said only had 20 rounds thru it. So I take to the range to compare. First 5 shots had 4" groups. I was so disappointed. So I cleaned, and this thing had copper build up so bad, it took me a half hour to clean out. So, next 4 rounds got .8" groups and 2.5" higher. Guy didn't know how to clean or break in, I guess. At 200 yards, I got 2" groups shooting one round after the other, no cool down. Went home an measured the COL with my Stoney Point, and its worse than the BDL. With same noslers, it is 3.810" and 3.706" with Speers But shot great with Factory ammo with COL at 3.55". I don't know if its the bedding on the new gun, the bull barrel or what.