HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Curious! Techies please reply.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Blodg

Default RE: Curious! Techies please reply.

First off, I am no bow expert, but I am an engineer and have been shooting archery/bow hunting for the last 15 years. I have experimented with many setups and I agree with the posts above, sight your bow in for broadheads. I have tested many different broadheads over the years and only a few grouped same as field points.

I was suprised that even some mechanicals did not group in exact same spot as field points. This bothered me because I guarantee some people buy mechanicals and don't even test them because the "are supposed to fly same as field points".

Also, a slight high-left tear is not a problem and I would not worry about trying to tune it out. When I shot target archery the owner of the local bow shop actually tuned a bow on purpose for slight high-left paper tears because for a right handed shooter it means the fletch end of the arrow is coming out slighty above the rest and away from the riser, both potential contact points. I myself usually attempt to get a bullet hole but if I am slightly high-left I don't worry about it and the bow shoots great.

Also, I have heard of advancing the top cam slightly but the purpose was not to improve paper tuning. The same target guy mentioned above (he was a sponsored staff shooter for indoor target archery) claimed that a slightly advanced cam enabled you to hold the bow steadier. My bow has been set up like that for years but I can't tell you for sure if it truly offers any improvement.