HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Curious! Techies please reply.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Pinwheel 12
Typical Buck

Default RE: Curious! Techies please reply.

If you plan on hunting with the setup, tune to broadheads by group tuning out to a distance of 40-60 yds or whatever you feel comfortable with. Get them as tight as you can and what you feel confident in your shooting abilities, and go hunting!

When you wish to shoot 3D or lots of fieldpoints, take a few minutes then and dial them in and put your broadheads away until your are ready to use them again. The re-dial only takes a few minutes once you get it figured out.

I have found that fieldpoints and broadheads fly differently when both are tuned correctly to their individual perfection, due to varying flight characteristics of each due to length of ferrule, blade resitance to wind, etc. Tuning to get both to fly the same only brings things to a "Happy Medium" of both, NOT what is optimum for each individually. Many people continue to do this tho, and whatever floats your boat but I want my setup to be the best it can be for each given application... Much as you've found when shooting groups with certain broadheads the impact points will be different than fieldpoints when tuned correctly. Some do fly close to the same out of a machine, but I have yet to setup and shoot fieldpoints out of a machine to hit the same bullethole at distance time and again and then shoot a broadhead right behind it to hit the same hole without adjustment of anything, and vice-versa. If you find one that does, you are darned lucky, and if not and you have to move something to bring them together, you'll find that the groups at distance of each individual point selection open up a bit and thus are taking away from one or the other to reach the happy medium.

IMHO---Set up each to the tightest groups at distance you are capable of, and go out and enjoy. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12