HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stand heght for recurve?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 11:29 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stand heght for recurve?

Yep--like most any type of hunting, it's going to vary with the location/situation. When stands first became popular here, you could get 12-15 feet off the ground and do just fine (at least that is what I have been told by several hunters that have been stand hunting since I was a toddler). Nowadays, your chances would be slim at that height unless you are able to use a stand that is naturally brushed in very well. As I said, I've had a lot of deer come in looking up in the trees, and they know that big glob of whatever wasn't there before. The buck I referred to really shocked me--I was very visable, but he never looked up. He came in and looked all around, but only at his eye level--never seen that happen here in MS (that was in TN). I've been busted (sitting still) 20' and more off the ground, and (I thought) hidden. We have a lot of hunting in these parts, and the deer get a lot of pressure. I'd love to have a place to hunt where the deer haven't been educated---I'd much rather hunt 15' off the ground if the deer would cooperate!

Chad