HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - update on my cousins hunting accident
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
zekeskar

Default RE: update on my cousins hunting accident

I'm really glad your cousin is doing well and I really do feel for the guy who shot him. I'm sure he feels like a real idiot. I don't know what I'd do if I screwed up that badly.

But a point I made earlier remains - the shooter is guilty of, in my opinion, of gross negligence or even assualt. Regardless of the time, place, or the weapon, it should have been pointed at the ground, not horizontally - especially, not at a car or person - whether loaded or not, whether there is a safety on it or not. There is absolutely NO excuse for not having it pointed in a safe direction.

It is not an "accident" it is gross negligence. It might be an "accident" that it fired, but it was NOT an accident that it was pointed in an unsafe direction. Regardless of intent, I think it's a degree of assault and battery. Not to kick a guy while he's down, but it's just such a bad mistake that I don't think it should be called an accident.