HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - By the Book
Thread: By the Book
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Hiawatha

Default RE: By the Book

I will admit that i have stretched a few laws before when hunting. I have never taken an illegal deer, after hours/ spotlight/ out off season/ wrong sex etc. No sense in shooting an animal like that because you wouldn't feel like you earned it. However some of the smaller details of our laws i am not afraid to stretch. We are to be in full colors here when rifle hunting which i abide by when I am walking in and out of the bush. But in all honesty when I am a mile back in the bush where I have yet to see another hunter, i get set up and i peel my red off and have my scent lock camo on underneath. I really do not see the difference between doing this or sitting with a sheet of camo burlap covering you. Also my gun is loaded from the time i leave the truck to the time i return to the truck regardless of time of day. I am not about to walk through an oat field with bear scat every 10 yards without a loaded weapon. I am just a young fella but i have already had way too many close bear encounters. Same goes for tracking an animal after dark in the bush. I am not about to follow a blood trail after dark without a rifle in my hand. I am not concerned with the animal i am tracking but rather what other animals are tracking it. Had a bud of mine track his elk one year only to find a sow and 2 cubs already beat him to the kill. The sow did not charge him so he left them alone but in that situation 9 times out of 10 things will get ugly fast. You could bet your bottom dollar that the wardens wouldn't be going into a situation like this with only a knife in their hand so why should i put myself in danger? Other than that i am a pretty law abiding citizen.