HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Scent Neutalizer
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 10:15 AM
mrfritz44
Typical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Scent Neutalizer

Here's a procedure I use to remain scent free that I will swear by as I've had too many deer and foxes get way too close to me from the downwind side to deny its effectiveness:

Wash your clothing in baking soda and dry with a little baking soda sprinkled into the load. If you want to keep the material supple, throw a couple earth scent dryer sheets in the dryer too. Spray down the inside and outside of all your clothes with the homemade scent killer and store in a plastic bag until you get to hunting spot. Sprinkle some baking soda into your boots, then hit the insides with scent killer. Store in the bag too.

Shower the morning of the hunt in the green Hunters Specialties soap used in the scent killer recipe.

Once at your hunting location (right out of the car), get dressed, gargle with a hydrogen peroxide/baking soda rinse, then finally spray yourself down from head to toe with the scent killer. Pay particular attention to your boots, pits, and crotch!

I had a fox wander to within 10 feet of my downwind side at ground level with this get-up while walking to my stand. I had a red flashlight and he was absolutely clueless that I was there. If it can fool a fox at 10 feet, it's good enough for deer! I've been in between several sets of deer at ground level too, and again, they were clueless. We're talking a few yards away and downwind. I've seen a dramatic difference in deer sightings the last two years with this technique/recipe.

The best thing about this is that it's CHEAP! No fancy clothing or chemicals. The most expensive thing is the four dollar bottle of green soap from Walmart. This has dual purpose though and is used to shower with as well as in the scent killer recipe. One bottle works all season.