HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for some help...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 07:29 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Looking for some help...

I was going to say.. the max load on them old CVA's was 100 grains. This was very common before all the 150 grain magnum hype came out. Seems funny we survived just fine shooting around 100 grains and then all of a sudden we needed more, bigger, faster.....

Hey, I think you wanting to do this in memory of your father is very nice. My hats off to you and I wish you a lot of luck. As for the 1:32 twist, forget the roundball. That twist was normally a concial barrel. They shot such things as maxi ball, maxi hunters, CVA concials, Great plains. Most of the time they shot with about 80 grains and were very accurate shooters out to 100 yards. My friend shoots one and he shoots 80 grains and a REAL conical. It must work because he knocks a deer down every year with the thing.

I would get some conicals. The 300++ range would be what I would go after. Try some REAL conicals if you can find them in your area. Try some powerbelts even. CVA Powerbelts should shoot real good with about 80 grains of powder. I would try the 295 grain range. You might try some sabots, but I would shoot long heavy bullets out of them. The old rule of thumb is the faster the twist the longer the bullet.

Those 240 grain PA Conicals were made for a slow twist rifle. They are an alternative to some of us roundball shooters. They will shoot out of the rifle the question is whether they will hold good accuracy at longer ranges...

Look in the store and see if they have some 370 grain T/C maxi ball or maxi hunters. Put 70 grains behind them and try them for starters. Do not get all concerned if they are accurate with only 80 grains of powder. It is all you will need to knock a white tail down if you place that bullet. Accuracy is most important here.