HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for some help...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 04:08 PM
mjqood0

Default Looking for some help...

Hello all! I'm new here to the ML forum -- I mostly hang out in the Bow area.

Anyway, when my father passed away, he left me a CVA Frontier Hunter Carbine. He got the gun and hunted with it a few times, never getting a deer. He was then unable to hunt and eventually passed away. This year, I decided that I wanted to use this gun to take at least one deer in his memory.

So... my questions:

This gun is a .50 caliber, with a 1 in 32" twist rifled barrel that is 24" long. Having only fired the gun a few times with round balls, I decided to take it in to the local gun shop and find some loads for hunting this year.

What they recommended was to put a scope on it (the rear sight was bent from my dad hunting with it. How, I do not know...) So I got a decent 3X9-40 mounted today and picked up the Hornady 50 CAL 240 GR PA Conical bullets that the guy recommended to me. They are a .512 diameter and the box says 1/66 twist.

Since I don't have a 1/66 twist, will these work in my gun? I'm sure it will shoot them, but what sort of accuracy should I expect. As I recall, with open sights I was able to put 3 shots in about a 6" circle with the round balls. With the scope, I should expect that this would tighten up some.

Also, what power load do I use? I got some Pyrodex RS and have usually used a 72 gr load -- but this does seem a little light. It's just what my dad had written on his "cheat sheet"...

I know this post is rambling, but i really don't know as much as I would like about these guns.

Thanks in advance for any help!