HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A friends first turkey.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default A friends first turkey.

I had a friend come in from out of town to hunt the last three days since I already tagged my buck. Well we were out this morning and saw plenty of deer and a couple bucks but nothing close enough so come late morning we decided to take a break from the treestand and go turkey hunting. I knew where some gobblers had been hanging out so we headed off. My friend Kurt had never taken a turkey before so I handed him my Mossberg and I took my bow and we set up. It was shortly after noon when I got a response and they were coming. I mentioned to Kurt that if I tried to draw and they became alert to go ahead and shoot. I was trying to take a turkey with my bow but wanted him to take his first bird. They came in mighty spooky but ASAT camo kept us hidden, so I simply layed the bow down and concentrated on the calling. As soon as it began we had a dozen gobblers coming to the River Valley slate call and in shotgun range at 25 yards Kurt pounded a mature gobbler. This is his first and one I am might proud to have called in, sat and witnessed....it was a fantastic day.

We did the photo session and headed back to the treestand. The evening hunt proved successful, saw a couple small bucks, a couple does but nothing to shoot so we'll be in the tree again tomorrow. Thought ya'll would like to take a look at one might happy hunter.