HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - field dressing question
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
uphunter15
Fork Horn

Default RE: field dressing question

Well since I don't have any pics I will try to explain it to you:

The sex organs on a deer come off almost like the skin, you cut the sking above the penis and work the skin back toward the anus being carful not to cut the tube going from the penis to the anus. That tube will come off of the pelvis by taking your knife and freeing it like the skin. Once to the anus you can work the knife around the hole making your way into the underside of the pelvis. Some people just reem out the anus but I almost skin around the hole and into the cavity making sure not to cut the pee tube. At this point you are ready to open the body cavity and gut the deer. Upon getting to the sex organs you should beable to pull them out if you did the job correctly in the beginning. Just make sure not to get any urine on the meat, if you do get it washed off thouroughly!!!

On a side note, some people split the pelvis to help with the removal of the sex organs and anus. It is a very good way of doing it I just choose not to.

This is my way of doing it and it may vary from person to person. It works well for me and I end up with a very clean virtually hair free job. Any questions please feel free to ask.