HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
John Deer
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

To keep from going crazy in a tree all day, I follow a four-step plan which I took from one of my favorite hunting articles. Hopefully these ideas can help you stay in your stand longer.

Step #1: Confidence
The first step toward staying sane in a tree all day is having confidence in your location. I won't torture myself in just any old treestand for an entire day, but if I know the spot is capable of producing a big buck, the wait is doable. Does that location you have in mind have a history of producing big bucks? You must also have confidence in your specific stand site. Are the signs of buck activity present like scrapes, rubs, etc.? When so many things tell you that where you are hunting is a great spot, it keeps you from wondering, "Maybe I should have hunted that stand over by the corn field?" or "Maybe the stand up the hill would be better?" When you start second guessing your stand location, you get impatient and eventually you leave the stand early. Carefully pick your all-day stand, and be confident in your choice.

Step #2: Timing
The timing of an all-day effort is also important. Pre and peak rut are the best times to catch mature bucks moving at all hours of the day. Here in my part of the country these first two weeks of November look to be the "prime time" for an all day hunt. Another thing to note is to try to time your all-day sits not only for the rut, but also for the weather. If a front rolls in and the temps drop, try to stay in your stand all day long.

Step #3: Visibility
Visibility is one aspect of all-day hunting that many bowhunters overlook. If your chosen hotspot affords only an 18-yard view of one trail or one fresh scrape in front of you, it's easy to become frustrated by a lack of deer sightings. There might be a whole herd of shooter bucks chasing does 100 yards behind you, but if you can't see them, you'll never know what you missed. Lack of good visibility is certainly one of the reasons hunters get frustrated with staying on stand all day. Visibility is especially important during the pre and peak rut. Bucks that pass out of bow range are still potential targets. If you can just see the buck to know he's in the area, calling or rattling might pull him within range. By giving yourself a stand with good visibility, you can also track the buck's progress as he responds to your calls. This gives you time to prepare for the shot. Even if bucks do not respond to calls or rattling, just seeing deer throughout the day makes staying on stand more exciting.

Step #4: Comfort
Being uncomfortable is probably the main reason why hunters give up on an all-day effort. Being strapped to a tree in freezing weather is not going to be a dream experience no matter how deluxe your stand is, but with the right stand choice, long hours are manageable. For all-day clothing, you need to dress for the worst possible conditions. On cold-weather hunts, forget the cotton camo; fleece and wool are better materials for bitter weather.
Comfort obviously goes beyond your stand and clothing. I pack a full daypack with snacks, water, sports drinks, candy bars and sandwiches. I don't usually eat much when I'm on stand, but I like to know it's there if I want it. Oh yeah, and there's always the pee bottle. Binoculars, rattling horns and grunt calls are other extras I pack. As I mentioned earlier, bucks in the distance can often be coaxed within bowrange with a little calling. When you get bored at midday a little rattling and calling will help keep you alert and interested.

In Conclusion
Staying on stand all day requires discipline and careful preparation. It's not easy to do nothing in a tree all day, but the potential reward of a career-best buck is certainly worth a numb butt and cold fingers. The frenzied days of the rut are what I think about all year. It's the best chance to catch a mature buck in broad daylight. Working a 12-hour shift strapped to a tree is the best way to get a big buck in the rut.