HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - first time Deer hunting....bad experience
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM
dr_pepper

Default first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Hi all you deer hunters!
First I have to say how great this sight is this is, all my questions always get answered before I ask them. With that said I know everyone will give advice and let me know that all hunters arnt @$$holes.
I am from Minnesota and hunting Whitetails. About 2 weeks before hunting we went to Floodwood MN. There is some State land up there that they say is great to hunt on. So we found a spot that we thought would be a great plact to build a stand. There were trails all over this area. There was swamp on one side and pine trees on the other and She was going to build her stand on top a little hill full of Popal trees. We walked around the area and saw no other deerstands or markers.So she built her stand . We put out a salt lick with molassas and sugar on top of it. We did this in 2 spots. I myself wanted to try a Pop-up Blind.
Ok so 430 am we were up and ready to head out for the big kill. We drove out to our spots. She helped me with my blind and went on her merry way.
I looked over the spot where i was but decided to move because there was a trail going right through my blind. So I moved up on the ridge about 15 feet from the trail. I sat for a little while and watched the mice and birds.Then I herd this loud russleing a little ways from me.....I grabbed my gun took off the safty. And I watched a Black bear stroll by. I was scared...I never hunted before.Camping yes never seen anything wilder than a fox. Ok so the bear moved on and so did I.
As for my hunting partner....i was sitting once again and herd a shot from her direction....I turned on my radio to see if it was her....nothing. Well after sitting for 5 hours and not seeing anything she came out opf her stand and we had lunch. So she was telling me of another hunter that had built his stand about 50 feet from hers. She saw a doe and he says something loudly and the doe ran off...she said pretty much the whole time he was making all kinds of noise and staring her down every half hour.So we decided to go somewhere else for the evening hunt.
Well needless to say I go set up my blind about 2 pm in a great spot I thought. Right by pine trees and a small lake. I am sitting there for about a half hour and 2 trucks pull up and they decided this would be a good place to sight in there guns. About 100 yards from me. I knoe they had to see me. I wasn't that hidden. So that went on for about an hour.
Well needless to say....almost every hunter we came across were kinda rude and snotty. Are all hunters afraid of women hunting. My friend has been hunting for 30 years or so and has been elk hunting in Colorado twice...and shot a cow...and has shot many deer. This was my first time. So it wasnt like we didnt know what we were doing.
I guess Minnesota nice doesnt include hunting. There are 2 weeks left of hunting here, I really would like to shoot my first one one of those weekends. I just wanted to share this with all of you to see what all of the great hunters had any advice. thanks for reading.
Dr_Pepper