HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - European Mount
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: European Mount

I have done numerous euro mounts and always boil the skull. The only problem that exists is the nasal cart. must be removed carefully not to damage any of the upper jaw line (I use a pair of needle nose pliers and push back versus pull) and sometimes you loose a tooth or two, they can be reattached with normal wood glue that dries clear! I always wrap the antler bases in alum. foil to prevent any pedicle or antler discolouration when boiling. Being your deer is in velvet I would wrap as much as possible to ensure it doesn't effect the velvet. Also if the velvet is dry you are ok (blood gone and feels hard to the tips), if it has blood in it you will need to inject the vessels with alcohol..failure to do so will cause rot.

Do not use household bleach...this will yellow the skull! The powdered bleach and peroxide (as mentioned) or a 50/50 Peroxide and water solution will work to whiten. For the powdered method you make a paste apply to skull, let stand for 24 hours and rinse off. In most cases one application is all that is required. For the 50/50 mixture you'll most likely require 2 or 3 applications, in this method I wrap the entire skull in cotton batton, then place the solution in a alum. foil pan and leave it for 24 hrs (repeat as required). The cotton will soak up the solution add stay in contact with the skull.

After the whitening application I let it dry for a week or so and then finish the project.

I am thinking of doing a moose euro, however I can't find a damn tub big enough to boil the entire thing! [&:]