HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Buck w/ Bow
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
kkeiser
Spike

Default First Buck w/ Bow

Took this deer with my Bow Saturday at around 5:40. We think it would be an 8 point if he had not broken off all but the 2 remaining ones.

It had passed behind my stand about 15 mins. earlier and was pushing a doe around in the field north of the woods. It went into some brush about 100 yards away so I decided to rattle and see if he was interested. Prior to this I had not recieved any response to my rattling so I didn't know if I was scaring them off or they just were not around. Well he charged out of the brush right towards me, stopped at the edge of the woods and beat the crap out of a small sapling then came right in on me. When I shot him he was at around 12 yards, the shot hit one lung and just nicked the heart.

After the shot he took two steps looked up at me and didn’t really move, took about 10 steps and looked at me again. Then he spotted a couple doe at the east edge of the woods and took off as fast as he could to them. I watched him with my binoculars for a couple mins. then saw the doe come out but not him.

I gave him about 1.5 hours, until a buddy came out, to expire then we tracked him. Very easy trail to follow, found him about 20 yards from where I last saw him, about 100-125 yards from the shot.

He’s butchered and in the freezer. Anyone have some good sausage or jerky recipies?

My buddy that helped field dress him couldn't believe his size, as he hunts in PA where the deer are not corn fed like here in Ohio.