HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PICS and story of 10 pointer!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 01:16 PM
14mercs
Typical Buck

Default PICS and story of 10 pointer!

Thursday afternoon/evening, I had been watching two button bucks duke it out for about a half hour or more. I became bored and sat down for a little while to rest me feet. I would peer behind me every now and then to look at the buttons fighting. After twenty minutes of sitting down it was getting towards "deer thirty" and I decided to stand and watch the buttons and watch the area. Keep in mind I have been in the stand about forty hours total this year and am starting to get mentally bored as well as sore backed. Anyway, I am looking around and out of the corner of my eye (5:00pm) I see a buck skirting the edge of the standing corn field. I look closely and see he might be a shooter. I then watch as he tends a scrape and works the lick branch over. Hopeing he comes my way, I was dejected when he went into the corn instead of my way. Since he was going the other way I decided to grunt at him and I had nothing to lose. All grunts this year had made the deer tear off in another direction. I tried grunting and he never looked back just kept heading north. (West to East wind.) I thought maybe try some light rattling he still inside of 100 yards away. As I turn to grab my antlers I see this huge buck heading my way from the south. I grabbed the bow again and put release to loop. I have shot several bucks with bow but brother I got to tell you I was shaking. It took about 15 seconds for him to make it to my stand. I was facing south and he was a little to my right. He was upwind and appeared to be going right in front of my face. He didn't. He crossed behind me and I lost sight of him. Not wanting to turn around yet I waited for him to pass. The crunching of leaves stoppped and I was thinking to myself he is staring right at the back of me now and wondering what the heck I am. Through my shivers I luckily heard him continue walking. He crossedbehind me from right to left and I turned about ninety degrees (slowly) and drew back. I mouth grunted and he ate the broadhead 12 yards. Deer ran off and died about 90 yards to the south saw him fall.
Here's where it get good. Buck number #1 appears as I am on the phone calling my buddy to give the news. Buck #1 proceeds to the spot where #2 was shot and follows the blood trail to around ten yards from the downed buck. Buck #3 comes in from the west and #2 chases him into the corn. Buck#2 was an OK eight (next year) and buck#3 was basket 6 or 8. Broadhead was Spitfire 100 grain not Tekan as stated earlier.

G-2's are 12 1/4 and 10 5/8, g-3's are 9 1/2 and 8 5/8. Inside spread is 20 5/8. Bases are both a shade over 6 inches. Main beams 23 1/2 and 21 7/8