HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ? about scrapes
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 02:49 PM
badshotbob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? about scrapes

ORIGINAL: outsidr1972

I know that a big buck can rub a little tree but a little buck can't rub a big tree. I was wondering if the size of the scrape can determine the size of the buck. I have been seeing alot of scapes here in Kansas and was just wondering. Thanks
Portable ladder hit it on the head with the size of the scrapes. I've seen big deer make a new scrape with only a few strokes from each paw. I've seen little deer start digging to China, but for the most part, a big scrape means you have good buck activity and you can count on more than one buck using the same scrape.

Also, it's a generalization that big racks rub only big trees and little racks only rub little trees. While it is a fairly consistent case, it isn't always true. Both large and small racked bucks will rub sapplings for example. I've seen fairly large deer rub small trees in a scrape area where there are no trees sized between large and small. Or if you have a heavy travel corridor in thick brush areas, the large bucks will rub the daylights out of those little brushy sized trees too.