HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A friend of mine is in trouble.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 AM
BagginBigguns

Default A friend of mine is in trouble.

Here's a word of advice to everyone: READ AND KNOW THE REGULATIONS!!!

I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday and he informed me of a situation he is currently in with the law. Wisconsin had a special T-zone season (10/28-10/31) in the middle of the archery season that was for doe only. My buddy was unaware that the T-zone season was in session and ended up killing a nice 8 pointer on Sunday night (10/31). To make matters worse, he is in an Earn-A-Buck zone and had not previously tagged a doe. He intended to register it and take it to the processor on Monday after work. As it turns out a neighbor must have seen what was going on and called him in. Monday morning the DNR showed up and took the deer. He then got a call at work requesting that he meet with the game warden. He left work and met with the warden. The warden took his bow and he will be charged with killing a deer out of season ("poaching"), which is a misdemeanor crime punishable by a $2000 fine and 3 year revocation of hunting privileges.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation (personally or by association), and is there a reasonable defense? The warden is calling him a "poacher", which I think is COMPLETELY out of line. To me this is the equivalent of keeping a walleye that is 14" long when the size limit is 15". While what he did is against regulations and is indeed wrong to do, he is not a "criminal". The whole thing was quite innocent. If last year's regulations were unchanged from last year warden would have congratulated him rather than charging him with a crime. I feel terrible for him and was hoping that someone here might be able to offer some advice.

Perhaps some punishment is in order, but the charges are FAR from reasonable, in my humble opinion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-BagginBigguns