HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can an arrow have too stiff a spine?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Bigpapascout
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can an arrow have too stiff a spine?

When an arrow is too stiff it isn't able to absorb the energy because it has leftover spine.The arrow will kick to the right for right handed shooters,just check the Easton tuning quides.I think they know a thing or two about arrows,bows,and tuning.
It is true that you can get an overspine arrow to shoot straight but usually at the expense of centershot.
are you trying to tell me that a 7595 GT cannot absorb most of the bows energy from a 60#bow?

shoot a 5575 then a 7595 then come back and tell me which arrow quietened the bow down more!

never mind I can tell you right here and now that the stiffer heavier arrow will absorb more of the bows energy thus reducing noise and viberation more than that of the weaker lighter arrow.
I can also guarantee you that it will shoot perfectly with a proper tune on the bow with the rest dead center of the center line of the string!

easton tuning guide is not the holy grail of how to properly tune a bow but it will give you a place to start

You can't go 10 sizes up on the spine chart and expect a bow and arrow setup to tune very well.On the otherhand,you can go 1-3 sizes up and still achieve a decent tune.Broadheads require a slightly stiffer spine setup than a field point but you are not overspining, you are getting the proper spine.Basically,there is more room for error to the stiff side than there is to the light side.
only easton aluminum shafts has that many spine to weight variables most carbons only have 5 different spine to weight ratios
so how do you go up 10 sizes?
my son shoots CR 5575 cut down to 26" out of a 40# bow and they fly strait (minus trajectory) and true out to 40 yds and his bow is properly set up and will shoot a perfect bullet hole thru paper but according to your theroy it should be punching nasty nock left tears thru paper? maybe you would like to explain this phenemenon so that I may better understand it according to you and the easton charts this is impossible.

Yes, hard cam setups require stiffer spines than soft cams but you are not overspining ,you are getting the proper spined arrow.
((((((HELLOOOO)))))) you are starting to get it!