HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Woodline Bucks
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread

Well guys, I scored on a decent buck last night. I have scored him out at 97, not what I was hoping for, but it will help us out alot. Here is the story:

I sat in the stand for 2 hours seeing only 4 raccoons. The wind was perfect and I could here a lot of noise in the corn and just over the ridge. I was just thinking I was going to get skunked when something came over the hill behind me downwind. He was 5 yards down the hill before I saw him. There were alot of little trees in the way and most still had their leaves. I could see the rack through the trees and thought that he was wider than his ears or at least as wide as his ears. I never looked at the rack again. He continued to walk down the hill into my shooting lane at 7 YARDS. I made a grunt sound with my mouth and he stopped in his tracks. I laid my sights on him and let the arrow fly. I saw that I grazed the back of his right shoulder and heard the arrow smack. The buck limped about 50 yards away, then began to sway for 10-20 yards and dropped. He held his head up though. I thought maybe the shot wasn't as good as I had hoped. I waited for it to get dark enough for me to not see the tree he fell beside, and I snuck out for help. We came back in an hour and he was piled up where I saw him fall. We then had the drag from h*ll, up two hillsides, and through a standing corn field. It was all worth it. This is the biggest bow killed buck for me to date. We weighed him in at about 185lbs. field dressed, which estimates him at 250lbs. on the hoof. I somehow have found a way to be frustrated though because I have passed up bigger bucks in the past. I think I got caught in the heat of the moment and made a snap decision. These points will help us, but I know I could have got us alot more. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I AM VERY PROUD OF THIS DEER!! Every deer I have shot with the bow has been a trophy in my book. I will be practicing my taxidermy skills on him. I have pictures that I will be developing tomorrow and hope to have on here by the weekend. Good luck to everyone else, the next two weeks should be a blast here in the heartland.