HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another QDM Experience
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 07:59 AM
wolfen68
Typical Buck

Default Another QDM Experience

Yesterday morning I had the awesome pleasure of observing 10 deer all within 0-40 yards for nearly an hour! At one point I had a doe and fawn about 10 yards away, a young 100 inch 8-point 12 yards away, a forkie about 35 yards away making a rub, a 6-pointer right under me, and a another little 6-pointer standing off about 25 yards. Evidently the doe was coming into esterus...believe it or not...and all the junior high boys were out in force strutting their stuff. I could have plugged any of these young bucks several times but let them all walk and what a show did they put on for me. I watched a forkie pin back his ears at a 6-point and then commence to strut right up to him, and then began trying to tear up some vines that were about as big around as his neck. His little headgear got wedged between the vines and for a moment his head was stuck...it was pretty cute. I heard more grunts from these boys than I've probably heard in my entire hunting career! What was interesting is their grunts were VERY different than those of the mature bucks I've heard. Much less gutteral and not as deep. I got to watch as two of the 6-pointers squared off and sparred for a few minutes. It was an awesome and very beneficial hunt.

Now if I would have plugged the first buck I could, it would have been the biggest of all of them...a 2.5 year old 8-pointer, but I didn't...he'll grow and possibly be a shooter for next year...but if I would have, I would have missed out on all of the very cool things I was blessed to observe and to me, that is what it is all about. How can you argue against QDM?