HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finding deer feeding area in Big Woods
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 11:44 AM
jpm8920
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finding deer feeding area in Big Woods

TDH, on the mountain that I hunt there are a couple very old rock walls that are in extremely bad shape. They run through what used to be a field and is now completely grown in. It is a low point between two large hills. I have caught deer many times walking right next to this wall when going from one hill to the other. There are a few other places also, where deer will run fencelines or old rock walls. I don't know why they do this, but I have been pretty successful hunting these areas. Also, most of the mountains that I'm hunting are made up of pine and hemlock, but usually these areas are hardwoods in between the pine and hemlock areas. Do you have any swamps in your area? There is only one in my area, but deer definitely hole up in there. It is nasty hunting, but worth the effort. It's nice to know there are some other people out there who have the same hunting problems that I face. I get so jealous when I read peoples posts and they talk about hunting huge farms and agricultural areas.