HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st elk down...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
chicagojoe

Default 1st elk down...

2nd year of solo backpack on public land in colo...at 11,500ft, got up at 6, walked two hours on ridgeline, saw 2 bulls 800 yards away just beneath top of peak across a saddle from me, broke a twig, they looked at me and went across to the other side somewhere. "how the hell can i sneak up on something like that" i thought...i figured i'd at least amble over that direction to see if i could see where they went to for the next day...1/2 hour hike in a sorta half-circle(keeping me at same elevation) i suddenly saw an elk ass staring right at me from above...just like on all those tv shows, i was breathing like a excited school girl as i waited for a broadside shot...30 seconds later he turned and i shot. i don't remember hearing the shot or feeling it, but the elk went down like a ton of bricks from what i guessed was 200 yrds. i wasn't trying to, but the 160 gr. accubond from 7mm wsm broke his shoulder(he was more like a 100 yrds awy). i was, and am lucky to take such great memories from my first elk...then the work began........