HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Memory?
Thread: Deer Memory?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Split-Hoof

Default RE: Deer Memory?

IMO it depends on how bad they were spooked. I think their memories are better than we tend to give them credit for. If they hear a noise that jumps them, but aren't sure what it was, then they aren't going to react to it the same way as they would a near death experience. The latter likely sticks in their memories for life, while the former is likely forgotten within a short time. If you hear a loud noise near your home, but find no threat afterwards, are you going to think much of it? On the other hand, if you hear a loud noise, and then get hurt and start bleeding..........

If a deer smells a human, it is not considered a threat until a deer has learned to recognize it as such. Usually the doe will teach the fawn which smells represent danger, and therefore the necessary skills for survival are passed on. In an area where humans represent no threat, the deer will not associate human odor with danger.

FroMan - You say you missed one with the bow. There are so many factors involved that it's impossible to determine, but if it was a clean miss and the deer wasn't a particularly old and educated buck, my guess is you have a good chance on seeing it again.

Just my humble opinion!