HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question about a shot, need help
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Huntm Up

Default question about a shot, need help

Tonight is diffently one i will never forget, i feel so ashamed of my self. a young buck came under my stand at 4yards. I told myself since i am in the "uban zone" and can take 3 bucks, i would shoot for meat first and than worry about a rack. Well i drew on him and placed my pin low on him (knowing that my 20 yard pin would be real high on him) and released, wack i hit him high just under the spine. My arrow didn't pass through is was sticking out both sides. He ran off and than stopped, i listened and waited silnce. i waited for about 20 min thinking i might of clipped the top of the lungs and found blood, lots and lots of blood. i started to follow the blood, the blood were in big pools, and when the deer was walking it was like some one was pooring it out in a solid line. And when the deer was running it was nickle to quater size drops. I was sure this deer was going to die soon and not go to far. Well i tracked him for like 2 hours and 250 yards (i walked real slow). Well it went on a well defined trail and the blood started to get less and less. than there where two big poddles of blood and than nothing!!!! i mean not a spek. I looked and looked for atleast an hour and couldn't find anything.

I pulled out and decieded i'll wait till moring to prusue the buck, but i am thinking does this sound like a deer that is just shot through the loins or backstraps, or a deer that i hit the artery that runs under the spine (if so shouldn't it be dead within 100 yards). I don't know what to think about the shot, i tried to compensate for the short distance but oblivously not enough. And one more thing why the no passthough i never had a problem with that before and my thunderheads are sharp as can be.

thanks
sean