HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - We got our Colorado Bulls
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 PM
NwOutdoorShop
Fork Horn

Default RE: We got our Colorado Bulls

Thanks everyone for the Congrats.....Now for some of the stories behind the hunts....We had a great time there in colorado...Its something we plan and look forward to every year. We spend 16 days there running around them mountians and its a great getaway.

My bull...I was using a 50 cal muzzleloader and didnt wait for him to come completely in...
We like to hunt in the wilderness area where nobody goes and no motorized vehicals and the elk can just do there thing. We broke over a ridge over looking a basin about 3 1/2 mile hike and started to call. One Bull answered below us to the right of our location. so i called on my cow call a couple times and he Bugled, then another bull bugled about 400 yards awayand to our left, but our attention was on the bull to the right because he was about 150 yards away but in the scrub cedars so we couldnt see him. after bugling a couple times and firing both bulls up the bull to our left steped out into the open and let out a scream. "There he is" I told don as the bull walked closer to us and stopped. he stood there for about 30 seconds and acted like he wanted to go back into the cedars....I told don to get out the decoy (we use a Montana decoy of a elk) As soon as the bull seen the decoy he ran about 250 yards to us before stopping by a little cedar.. he stopped out at 137 yards below my point on a rock bluff. while resting on a rock the sights just sat on him so i pulled the trigger. which sent him for a loop and knocked him down.....thats about it on my bull not very interesting just a basic shot to the vitals.

Dons Bull..... he was using a 50 cal also

After taking a day off from the 3 1/2 mile pack out with my bull we decited to return to the Basin to see if we could find the other bull that was calling the morning I shot my bull. The wind was blowing about 25 to 30 mph in our face comming out of the basin that morning and hearing was a problem...So we setup on a over look and started calling...we never herd nothing..after calling for 30 minutes I thought I heard a faint bugle to my right. We gathered up our packs and headed to the spot where I shot my Bull from to get a better advantage. Before we headed down to the point I stopped to cow call. Right after i called the bull bugled to my right right below us. I ran to my right with don right behind me..I ran about 15 yards to a spot i could see below just in time to watch the bull duck his head under a cedar comming up the hill. I told don theres the bull shoot....shoot him....the bull at this time is about 7 yards away. Don dropped to his knee and fired knocking the bull down.... After it was all over Don told me...."Next time not so close and not as fast"......LMAO I told him i cant control that But that was a close one....Next time we hunt with muzzleloaders there I think we are going to pack a little fire extingusher....Because Don did singe the hair in a 3 inch circle....LOL

Anyways thanks you guys for the congrats...And best of luck to you in your Outdoor Adventures

Bob