HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - why do we get buck fever?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
WriterBob

Default RE: why do we get buck fever?

I've killed a lot of deer and still get buck fever. Seasoned hunters are subject to it just like beginners only in different degrees. The more deer you take the easier it is to handle it . The higher your confidence the less the fever it affects you, but most of us get the fever to some degree or we would not be out hunting. It is normal, and i havehad times when my leg was shaking so bad I thought I would fall down. Usually this is when a big buck comes in and I have to watch him for a long time. Other times it comes quickly I shoot and it is all over and the deer is down, and then I shake.
Buck fever is normal, try to talk to yourself to calm your nerves. Some guys say they get angry at the deer and this causes it to leave, I tend to pick aspot and quit looking at the animal when it comes time to shoot telling myself there will be plenty of time to shake when it is over, or else i think to myself the chances of me getting the deer or slim and this takes my mind off the stress of the shot and then when it presents its self I make the shot. Try to relax and think about that spot you are shooting at. But you are very normal to get the fever, it is an adrenaline rush literally and when I don't feel it I probably wont hunt anymore.
Good luck and pick a spot on the deer, focus on the spot, and shoot