HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - why do we get buck fever?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 05:44 AM
thecontractor

Default RE: why do we get buck fever?

i think there are different levels of "buck fever" based on how severe your "symptoms" are. i think that i've had each and every one of them.

most severe case: as mentioned, being paralyzed to the point that you just can't move.
i had this four hunting seasons ago when a HUGE buck was "running" with 9 doe. they were about 125 yards up on the hill walking east to west SLOWLY while feeding. my rifle was against the tree and my back was to them. the only movement i made was turning my head to look over my shoulder, and then i froze!!! they eventually walked out of sight.

a little less severe but could be thought of is immoral is when a hunter just pulls up and shoots without really aiming. i am also guilty of this, but i must say i was very young when i did things like that.

and then there's the shaking so bad you can't get your scope to stop on the animal. once again this happened to me when i was very young.

and one that i actually enjoy and get every year is the "night before jitters" which i feal is a form of buck fever. i can't think about anything else but the next day and often worry all night that i am going not going to be set up in the right spot. sometimes a couple of beers will calm me down just a little bit.