HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
KimberRuger

Default RE: Field dressing

Chucker - I don't think either way - top to bottom or bottom to top is either right or wrong, but I do it from bottom to top - it makes it easier to get through the ribcage. I also go further up the neck than most guys do - there's not a lot of meat there, and what is there usually ends up getting ground anyway. The reason I do this is so that I don't have to reach up into the neck to get the windpipe/troat out.

As far as what to do in the crotch, well, that depends. Some states require evidence of sex to remain intact - which means the "package" stays on. That's the way it is in NY where I grew up, and I just got so used to doing it that way that I still do it even though it's not required in NC.

What I do is cut along side of the scrotum and penis and pull it aside. If you're going to do this (leave his manhood on) you should do it FIRST - especially since this will be your first deer. That way, if you accidentally cut through the little pee tubes going from the bladder to the penis, you won't get wee-wee all over the meat. Then gut as discussed. (I started a link about field dressing and butchering, in it is a link to Canuck's website and he has a pretty decent tutorial on how to field dress).

If you can, watch one of your hunting buddies gut his deer. When you do yours, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION - look at where everything is - parts is part - they're the same on the inside on all deer.

I hope this helps.