HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Now what? Broadhead/Tuning question
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Carwi

Default RE: Now what? Broadhead/Tuning question

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Why do broadheads have to have the same impact point of fieldpoints?

If fieldpoint impact = broadhead impact points, does that = perfect tune??????
In reality they don't have too but I feel a lot of archers miss out on accuracy potential. If your broadhead groups are tight but to the left or right 2-3" at 25-30yds you can just resight to your broadheads and go hunting but with that same setup your broadheads will move over a lot at ranges of 40-45yds but that is also getting to a range most people don't shoot at game also. However, your broadheads reveal imperfections in tune when shot, hence the variation from field tip impact. If you bring together the two then your tune is far better resulting in a more perfect arrow flight. Groups are normally tighter and you can take field tips in the field to hunt as well for shots at small game if you don't see any deer. Personally to me getting the broadheads to impact the same as my field tips = better tune, more hunting options, and tighter groups IMO. Especially with fixed broadheads. In my experience if I can get my broadheads to group with my field tips to 60yds then shots with field tips up to 30yds results in torn fletchings and robinhooded arrows due to the tighter groups I get. I really feel when all things like this come together there is a very noticeable difference in the overall tune of a bow. Is it perfect? NO, anything can be improved upon, BETTER? YES, ABSOLUTELY!!