HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:03 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!

Good luck on your plot. The more you look into your options - the more questions you will have. I use Google.com to search for good information. I use this message board to get feedback, and share with others.

First, I don't quite understand why you mentioned a fence. I wouldn't worry about one unless I was planting young trees or something similar.

Second, The lick will best serve you if placed back in a bit of cover, where deer might like to access your plot. You will get a lot more usage.

My last bit if info would be in regards to the food plot. In my experience, clover mixes are best for an overall plot. Stay away from the exotic type plantings, and ones the include grasses (perenial rye, or fescue). All the advice you've gotten so far comes from some pretty experienced people. The soil test is a must, but keep in mind that the test is a "snapshot" in time of your soil conditions that will vary by season, site preparation, and any improvements you make with plantings or fertilizer/lime. You will want to get your soil to an optimum Ph (6.5-7.0) but understand that food plots will grow in soils that are not optimum, to a point. The real key to a food plot is to make adjustments as you go along. (Mow, dress w/lime and/or fertilzer, etc.)

Have fun, and keep in mind that whatever you provide as a plot - it'll likely be better than where you started. Keep things simple if you can.

Many of us will be happy to address specific questions with our experiences.