HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a dog !
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2002, 11:36 AM
stealthycat
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me pick a dog !

I am in the process of finishing a 6' privacy fence in my back yard (cedar). Upon completion, I have promised to get my 2 1/2 year old little girl a puppy. I have a 4 month old son too. Plus, I want a dog too. I live in a small rural neighborhood, big back yard, and we can take the dog for plenty of walks and play. Also, I have 80 acres in a very rural area that we go to every other weekend and the dog will go too.

That said, I want a smaller dog, a friendly family dog but one that bristles and barks at strangers too. At the same time, I want an intelligent dog, not some wortless, idiot dog. What do ya'll suggest ? My wife wants an Austrailian Shepherd, and I think its not a bad choice, certainly smart enough, but wanted to throw around some options none the less. I live for bowhunting, but I miss the squirrel hunting days and the sound of beagles running rabbits. No, beagles aren't an option either ! I love 'em, I really do, but they just got too much nose and not enough smarts for an all around great dog I think !!

Also, I aint into bird hunting at all. I know, its almost blasphemy living in central Arkansas and all, just never got into it !

Edited by - stealthycat on 02/27/2002 12:40:12