HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Several Summit Stand Models?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 06:52 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Several Summit Stand Models?

JPW,

I realized I should have continued with the other models....

Summit Cobra X4: A really cool "do everything" stand, like the Viper X4, but yet has a pivoting bar in front. The bar swings up and over your head, out of the way, once your settled in. The surprizing thing is the Cobra weighs a pound or two less than the Viper X4! Even though it is almost the same size stand. The bar is used to assist with climbing (you can actually sit on it when you climb) and it is stable, secure, and rugged. The only issue I could see is if you are like 6'6" or something, or have the seat straps raised up a bit, then you might bonk the back of your head on the padded bar, once it's raised up out of the way. The other thing is, what keeps the bar up? What would happen if it decided to swing back down on you. I suppose it's easy to use a tiny bungie cord and bungie the bar to the tree, when you don't want it. Long story short: Excellent stand, like a Viper X4, but with the swing up bar. [8D]

Summit Goliath X4: The Paul Bunyon of Summit stands. This is basically a Viper X4 on steroids. 350 pound rating, and yet, still the same lightweight rugged, aircraft aluminum. Instead of me being 6' and 205lbs - if I were like, 6' and 305lbs, I would still fit comfortably in the Goliath, and be stable and secure. The foot platforms on the Viper/Cobra/Goliath are all the same. The seat platforms are where the differences are. The Goliath seating is bigger, roomier, and built stronger.

In summary: When you buy a Summit, you get everything imaginable in the box. The stand, ropes, bungies, the seat 'o the pants harness, all sorts of goodies, and the best is the cool DVD. Believe me, I had to watch the DVD a few times, to see exactly where the foot platform mounted for the best results (you have to attach the foot platform - everything else is fine, right out of the box). Oh yeah... "self-tapping screws" - my a$$! [>:] A cordless screw driver just doesn't cut it. You need a drill w/ phillips head inserted in it. But I first used a tiny 3/32" drill bit and made a small pilot hole through the brackets into the frame, for the foot platform. Then, screwed everything in tight.

After studying some of the Summit stands, reading everything I can get my hands on, then finally deciding on buying one (Viper X4), and lastly watching the DVD, now I understand why Summit is the #1 brand treestand! [8D]

Butch A.