HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mule deer rare...whitetails everywhere!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 PM
JD IN ALBERTA
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mule deer rare...whitetails everywhere!

Sask: A lot of people say mule deer are easy to stalk, but after doing it for quite a few years with a bow & rifle, I beg to differ. I definately give you cudos for getting such nice deer year in and out with the bow. I find it extremely hard to stalk them in the coulees here since they hang out in the heaviest/thorniest cover around, thats why we use stands and push. I would love to watch how you do it...it's alot easier with the rifle

Skeeter: We have a 1/2 section of river bottom to hunt but the rest is off limits. It borders a provincial park and can't even think of going the other way since there is definately no hunting allowed there. As for food sources, the fields above the coulees are canola and grain so they have feed everywhere for miles and no real pattern to get there since bow hunting pressure is nearly nil. We pretty much hang out near the bedding areas and wait for them to head to feed. There are so many trails it's almost impossible not to hit a hot one. I have set up in a big cottonwood overlooking some MAJOR trail connectors, but as I said only whitetails are running so far. Hopefully it'll start to cool down and I'm gonna start tickling the antlers. The w.t. bucks are already playing with the does but still pretty early for any heavy rut activity. Good luck fellas and thanks for the suggestions! JDinAB