HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion
Old 09-28-2004, 07:45 AM
ostdc
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion

I have a couple of comments, but they may not be as organized or well put as they could be.
First, I think you have heard this before, if you want him to stay, shoot his momma. I believe it is the doe that forces the 1 1/2 y.o. bucks to disperse, right?
Second, it is generally the doe family groups that dominate the best nutritional areas and leave the bucks or bachelor groups with the less than adequate areas. So even your bucks with all your hard work may not be getting as much of the good stuff as they should. So your well fed yearlings are probably better fed than the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 yo bucks on your property because all summer they have been a part of the doe group. Does the good start as a yearling make them better off as 2 1/2 yo when they move to second rate habitat? Or are your yearling transplants better off moving into better quality habitat than they came from. I don't know. Does this make sense?
Lastly, it may be ok to shoot yearlings this early in the season as they will be dispersing anyway. Not so in November. Those are the yearlings that you want to protect.
FH, are you sure those first two deer are 1 1/2 year olds? They look older to me and if they are older, you may not want to keep them.
Sorry if this post is hard to follow.
Brian