HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - oops neck shot
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
GR8atta2d
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: oops neck shot

WV HUNTER is right on track. Neck shot is not neccessarily fatal. Yes you could hit the spine or the jugular in either case death is almost instantaneous with much blood (jugular) or the deer drops in his tracks (spine). Other than that most likely the deer will live if it staves of infection and such. Perhaps if you hit the esphogus alone it could die a slow agonizing death but thats a very small target.

I have killed a buck with a neck (jugular) shot as it was all that was presented and I knew I could make the shot at 18 yards. The deer crashed in sight with mucho blood spraying everywhere. Perhaps this isn't the classic double lung but i'll challenge anyone who says it wasn't an ethical shot. Only the individual releasing the arrow can evaluate his/her abilities.

I also agree with huntingbry, that we beat up why to many folks looking for help. (I'm probably guilty too). It's probably not that the others never miss or make non-lethal shots but they just know that if they post about it, they will be labeled a sloppy hunter.