HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - P O at bad shots ............VENTING!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: P O at bad shots ............VENTING!!!!!!

i know thats a big money waster when you release birds and they all fly away......most will probably die over night from predators.....my friends dad used to release pheasants and chuckers all the time.....one day he had a big group coming out and alot of birds to "plant" so he went out the evening before right before dark..... they hunted about 8am the next day...i think he put out 30 ringnecks that night.....and the next morning there were like 4 live birds....rest were piles of feathers or birds with heads ripped off from owls.....terrible.......occassionally they will make it....but your area is probably alot like ours.....id be willing to bet ours had more cover for the birds then yours actually.....it was like CRP land out west almost....hedrows....briar thickets...thick fields......and thick woods.....lots of good bird cover....they just couldnt find it in time.....i definently wouldnt waste birds on the guys that dont have a prayer in a chance to hit them..and hunting with a dog....theres no excuse for shooting that bad......i can see hunting ALONE with a dog....but with a group of guys and a good dog there shouldnt be a bird left flying hunting like that....ive hunted like that and know how it goes....thats a waste......