HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone tell me anything about Hornady Spire Points
Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
elkaddict

Default RE: Can anyone tell me anything about Hornady Spire Points

I'll check out the locall Wallyworld. I've watched 4 different elk,three deer, and 1 antelope shot with these loads--they do as well as any other non premium bullet on elk. (For deer, I don't believe premium bullets are worth the costs if bullet weight is reasonable). The 180g corelocks exited on all animals, and one of the elk, a very large cow, was shot through the shoulders. All of the shots were 300+ shots. Would I want to hit a mature bull in the point of the shoulder at close range? No. For average conditions, day in, day out, will it work? Yes. Would I personally be happier with 180 patitions, a-frames, barnes or other premium bullets, yes. I bet I've watched 20-30 elk shot through the lungs with both premium and non premium bullets with the various .30 mags to the 338 and 340 wby. It is my experience on broadside lung shots that the non premium bullets out of 300wby mag kill slightly faster than partitions. The difference is slight, maybe a second or two--but I have noticed it. With one exception, none of the elk went more than 30 yds, and with the faster 30s, none have gone more than 10yds. My personal choice for elk is a 340wby with the 210 partitions--they've never gone more than 10 yds and I have no fear, at any range of the bullet not blowing through a shoulder.