HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer rifles
Thread: deer rifles
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer rifles

I always wanted a 30-06. My reason? well it had a rep for being powerful and more importantly it was the american weapon in world war I and world war II. It was designed as a man killer but adapted for use as a hunting rifle. It's capable of delivering killing shots far past the average hunter's ability to hit a target. I finally bought one 2 years ago and killed a deer with it last year. This year I bought a used Marlin 30-30 because I figure it will make a good first rifle for my oldest boy.(well' see, I might put him behind a 243 r 270 first) I will be carying it this season in hopes of "breaking it in" and giving it some family tradition to pass on to him. Some folks like tank busters and some folks like a 243 or 270 because they are "flat shooters". My first wife's father used to ridicule my desire for a 30-06 because he called it a "redneck rifle" He shot a .270 because it was flat shooter and said the 30-06 had too much kick and too much arc. I always felt that the art of marksmanship involved adjusting for range. But that old man, much as I disliked him has killed more deer than Iwill probably ever see in the woods. I still like my '06. But that's just me.

Now watch what you say about my truck.

David