HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - powder measure
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: powder measure

The RCBS uniflow measure works great, if you know how to use it correctly. Unfortunately, most people don't, probably because of inadequate instructions from the manufacturer, specifically the lack of a key part and a few important details.

The first thing you need is a powder baffle, I don't know if a baffle comes with the measure when you buy it these dyas, but the meausre I bought about 10 years ago didn't. I struggled with it and gave up on it until someone told me to get a baffle for it. A baffle is a round piece of sheetmetal that is bent with a couple of holes in it. You place the baffle into the empty measure with the pointed end up before you add powder. RCBS baffles cost about $4.

The next thing you need is a solid mount for the powder measure. The Uniflow comes with a strip of metal that the measure screws into and what looks like it can be screwed under a die on you rpress. Throw this part away- its too springy for the purpose of having a solid mount for the measure.

Notice the bottom of the measure is threaded? Coincidentally, it will screw right into the top of your press, if your press is solidly mounted, this will suffice for a good mount for it, until you get a stand for it (or better yet a second press- a cheap Lee press would be far more versatile than a powder measure stand, and cost about the same. Tighten down the locknut on the measure to the press, so the meausre is nice and tight.

Throwing charges- use the same stroke every time. I use a sharp upstroke with a sharp downstroke, I do it the same way everytime. Taking an hour to practice and develop a routine while weighing the charges will help you find what works for you.

Adjusting the charges- when you adjust a charge, throw 3 charges before taking a weight. it usually takes 1 or 2 charges for the measure the 'settle in' , If you simply adjust the meausre, throw a charge and weight it, then adjust it again, you'll be chasing your tail. If I get an odd charge that doesn't feel right (such as if I get a cut grain) I'll discard that charge along with the next 2, before going back to charging cases, while weighing the first charged case to confirm that everything is OK.

Keep the powder hoper at least 1/2 full and top it off often. When you top it off, discard the first 3 throws of powder before charging cases again. I keep a plastic cup on my bench for discarding charges when the measure is settling in so that I can easily dump the powder back in the hopper on the next recharge.

I weigh every 8th charge. My loading block has rows of 8, so I weight the case at the end of each row as I go. If I'm less confident, I'll weigh more often.

to recap:

1. use a baffle
2. use a solid mount.
3. practice and perfect a consistant charging stroke.
4. discard the first 3 charges after setting the measure, discard at least the first 2 charges every time you top off or some irregularity occurs.
5 keep the hopper topped off.
6. check your charges every 5th to 8th charge.

If you do all of this, you should be able to keep charges to 30-06 sized cases withing +/- .2 gr or better which will make no difference in accuracy, with pistol cases you should be able to stay within +/- .1gr, which is within the accuracy tolerances of your scale.